Federal Skilled Trades Program
Canada is the destination country for people skilled in trades and professionals from every part of the globe. The country accepts thousands of skilled workers every year as immigrants make it their future home and bring a wealth of knowledge, skills and experience with them. The government has developed a Federal Skilled Trades Program for such people.
Most of the employment opportunities in the Skilled Trades Program are found in the following sectors.
- Industrial Sector
- Electrical and Construction Work
- Maintenance Operations
- Cooks and Chefs
- Bakers and Butchers
Eligibility Criteria for Skilled Trades Program
In order to qualify for the federal skilled trades program, applicants must fulfill the following conditions.
- Have at least two years of full-time work experience (or equivalent in part-time work) in a skilled trade as identified by the Canadian government. The work experience must be from five years prior to the date of the application.
- Meet the minimum English or French language requirements.
- The candidate must have a permanent job offer from a Canadian employer in the case where they do not hold a certification in a particular skilled trade. If the applicant does hold a certification in their particular trade, they may not need to have a valid job offer on hand.
- The applicant should be able to fulfill the requirements of employment opportunities on the Federal Skilled Trades Program. There are specific certification requirements for possible jobs and failure to meet these requirements will result in failure to get approved.
How to Apply
People who are eligible to apply for the skilled trades program may do it through the express entry skilled trades program. The express entry is an online application process where candidates enter their data into a pool. The system identifies suitable candidates based on the needs of the provincial and federal governments and they are invited to submit a formal application for immigration to Canada.